Creator: Timothy Ferriss and published as a book, The Four Hour Work Week .
Purpose: Have us rethink our 9-5 Monday to Friday, live for the weekend deferred lifestyle.
Tim Ferriss’ book title is a great manifesto snapshot:
The Four Hour Work Week : Escape the 9-5, live anywhere and join the new rich.
Ferriss calls for an end to:
- The 40 hour work week
- The live for the weekend culture that works five days then has only two days off
- And an end to the live-to-work deferred lifestyle. Why work the best years of your life? Why die waiting to retire? Or why retire and be too old to do anything?
Tim’s deal is er… TIM’s DEAL. He identifies three lifestyle currencies that you need to manage to live your ideal lifestyle:
- Time (Non-renewable)
And he has identified four ranked, intra-dependent steps:
- Define : Define your ideal lifestyle.
- Eliminate : Eliminate everything extraneous.
- Automate : Build an automatic, sustainable source of income.
- Liberate : Be mobile and free yourself from your location.
Book Website: http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/
For a great summary of Ferris’ manifesto, grab the Book Rapper issue The Four Hour JOLT!
Remote Year Values – living and working remotely while holding down your job and building you career
Manifesto for Smarter Working (remote work in organisations)
Haydn Shaughnessy – The New Work Manifesto (addressing the lack of engagement in the workplace)