Creator: Published in the Bible and said to be spoken by God to the people of Israel.
Purpose: A moral foundation and guide for living in Judaism and Christianity.
The Roman Catholic, Lutheran, Jewish (Talmudic), Anglican and Orthodox Christians have slightly different versions of the Ten Commandments. This a combination of these versions.
- I am the Lord your God
- You shall have no other gods before me / You shall not make for yourself an idol
- Do not take the name of the Lord in vain
- Remember the Sabbath and keep it holy
- Honour your father and mother
- You shall not kill / murder
- You shall not commit adultery
- You shall not steal
- You shall not bear witness against your neighbour
- You shall not covet your neighbour’s wife / You shall not covet anything that belongs to your neighbour