Creator: Lionel Birnie, Cycle Sports Magazine
Purpose: A response to Jonathan Vaughter’s 10 point plan to reinvigorate cycling: 11 things the cycling teams could do to create a better deal for all those interested in pro road racing.
Cycle Sport’s Manifesto: A Challenge to the team owners
1. Talk to major broadcasters and mainstream media in all the key markets.
2. Ask cycling’s existing fans what they like and dislike about the sport as it currently is and what they would do to broaden its appeal.
3. Approach fans of other sports and ask them what they think of cycling. Listen carefully to them – they’re potential fans.
4. Stop appearing so self-interested.
5 Get your own houses in order.
6 Respect above all the race organisers.
7. Instruct an independent auditor to conduct a report on the use of race radios.
8. Engage with the fans more.
9. Help and encourage organisers to market their events more effectively.
10. Set up rider development schemes in other parts of the world.
11. Put together a clear, cohesive and direct manifesto document – A blueprint for the future of cycling – setting out your vision.